target=”_blank” replacement

This is hardly a new concept, but i decided to finally get around to validating as much of my wordpress themes as i could. One major falling point i noticed was i used a lot of target=”_blank” anchor tags.

Bellow is the replacement code to create a XHTML valid “open in a new window” script.

Create a new external javascript file an add the bellow code

function RelLinks() {
	if (!document.getElementsByTagName) return;

	var anchors = document.getElementsByTagName("a");

	for (var i=0; i
		var anchor = anchors[i];
		if (anchor.getAttribute("href")
			&& anchor.getAttribute("rel") == "blank")
			anchor.target = "_blank";
	}
}

window.onload = RelLinks;

Call the Javascript file somewhere within your tags


Replace all your target=”” attributes to a rel attribute

link